Columbia, SC Car Accident Attorney
What to do when you're involved in a car accident in Columbia, South Carolina?
On This Page
Columbia, SC Car Accident Lawyer
Car accidents can be devastating, painful, and leave you feeling helpless. We are here to help. We can help guide you through the process with the insurance company, with your medical providers, and help you recover costs for all your damages including medical bills, lost wages, future medical bills, and pain and suffering. Unfortunately, car accidents are on the rise in Columbia, SC. We’re here to fight injustice. Contact us today for a free consultation. You will pay us no money unless we get money for you.
6 things to do when you’re in a car accident in South Carolina
If you are in a crash in Columbia, SC with a car, a tractor trailer, 18-wheeler, or vehicle, whether you are driving or a passenger, there are a few steps you should take. Every factual case is different and these steps are not always available in many instances. We never judge our clients for what they did or did not do after a traumatic event such as a car accident.
If you are able to do so after a collision, you should:
- Call 911 or Your the Columbia Police Department – You want law enforcement and emergency responders to arrive as soon as possible to provide medical care and control traffic to reduce the risk of further accidents and injuries.
- Get Medical Care – You may be taken by ambulance to a Columbia, SC hospital or emergency room. If you do not go to the ER by ambulance, have a friend or family member take you to there or to a trusted physician for a full exam. You should see a doctor as soon as possible after a collision. Often times, people in car accidents may have injuries they cannot see.
- Exchange Insurance Information – Ask for the other driver’s name, contact information, insurance company, and insurance policy number. If you or your loved one could not exchange this information, don’t worry. We can still help.
- Collect Evidence – There is evidence you can gather at the scene of a collision that can be very helpful. Use a phone to take pictures and video of the crash and surrounding property damage. Also, ask for witnesses’ names and contact information.
- Keep a Journal – After the accident, keep a journal or daily log to record how you feel and what you do each day. Include the activities you can or cannot do including going to work, household chores, playing with children or friends, or any other activities. This may help refresh your memory months later of how you felt.
- Call a Columbia, SC Car Accident Attorney – When you are in a car crash and suffer injuries, the best way to protect yourself is to contact an experienced car accident lawyer.
Insurance companies do not serve your best interest. Their business model is to pay you as little as possible for your claim. Do not take their first offer. Do not send them your medical bills or sign a medical waiver without having spoke with a knowledgeable Columbia, SC car accident attorney.
Car Owner Liability in Columbia, SC
It is common for drivers to be in vehicles that are not their own. Family members and friends may borrow each other’s cars, a driver may rent a vehicle from a major chain or another person’s vehicle through a car-share platform. Under all of these circumstances, both the driver and the vehicle owner may have auto insurance policies that apply to the crash. You may be able to file a claim against the driver’s policy and the car owner’s liability policy.
Product Liability in Columbia, SC
Not all car crashes happen because of negligent drivers. Some collisions occur because of a defective car part. After every accident, we carefully investigate what went wrong. We will review whether there were any active recalls for that vehicle. We also may have the vehicle inspected to determine if a particular part may have failed prior to the collision. If we determine a defect was the underlying cause of the crash, we will pursue compensation from the vehicle manufacturer or seller.
Employer Liability in Columbia, SC
If the at-fault driver was working at the time of the crash, and driving was part of their job, then their employer is typically liable for the crash and your injuries. By working with an experienced Columbia, SC auto accident attorney, you can pursue compensation from the businesses’ liability policy. This can be helpful, as businesses often have higher policy limits than individual drivers.
Dram Shop Liability in Columbia, SC
If the driver who caused your or your loved one’s crash was intoxicated at the time, then talk with your Columbia car accident lawyer about South Carolina’s dram shop laws. The vendor that knowingly sold or provided alcohol to someone under 21-years-old or to someone who was noticeably intoxicated can be liable for damages the intoxicated person causes. If we can identify the individual or business that supplied the drunk driver with alcohol just prior to the crash, we can pursue compensation from that party. Call an experienced Columbia, SC Dram Shop attorney today.
If you were injured in a car accident, the first step is usually to pursue compensation through an insurance claim. Insurers require you to notify them of a claim within a reasonable amount of time. This is something you need to do right away. If you wait several months, your claim will likely be denied.
You may need to pursue compensation through a personal injury lawsuit. This you have more time to do, but still not an infinite amount of time. In South Carolina, you have three years from the date of the accident to file a personal injury lawsuit.
Common causes of car accidents in Columbia, SC
Car accidents arise due to all types of negligent, careless, reckless, and malicious conduct, including:
- Distracted driving
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Drowsy driving
- Obstacles in the road, including construction equipment
- Texting and driving
- Ignoring traffic signs and signals
- Failing to yield the right of way
- Road rage
- Reckless, aggressive, and dangerous maneuvers
- Bad weather
Common types of car accidents in Columbia, SC
At Keibler Law Group, we help South Carolina residents recover from all types of collisions, including:
- Rear-End Accidents
- Side Impact “T-Bone” Crashes
- Side Swipe Accidents in the Same and Opposite Direction
- Run Off the Road Accidents
- Head-On Collisions
- Drunk Driving Accidents
- Left-Turn Wrecks
- U-Turn Accidents
- Hit and Run Collisions
- Blind Spot Crashes
- SUV Rollover Accidents
- Parking Lot Collisions
- Low-Speed Wrecks